Feb 10, 2011

Are you cooky?

Today I made banana cookies. it was cooky. 
What an interesting experience... I felt nervous, under-prepared (though I prepped for quite a while!), had the nerve-sweats (have you had those??), awkward, yeah...  basically I downgraded to my junior high self.
All these feelings came just before I had to give a food demo in my orientation class {hence the cookies}. I had part of my measurements wrong, forgot to plug in the mixer BEFORE I began the presentation, my hands were shaky, and on top of that...I forgot a cookie sheet! 
It was kind of crazy because the fifteen or so gals that went before me on previous days seemed so confident, and then here I am...shakin' in my boots! 
I'm grateful for the practice though :) jr high and high school students can be a ruthless at times. If you need someone to do a little grub-demo for ya, let-me-help-you-help me!
Yep, I'm still excited to teach! Any tips on gaining confidence in the classroom? As most of you may know, I am most comfortable when I know you well. At first I can be pretty shy. 
NO MORE OF THAT, ASH. Time to be outgoing and crack jokes 24/7. (really though, I want to be funny!)














{there's my face, and a banana cookie with coconut icing}
Sooo... good news!I met with an academic counselor the day before today {yesterday}, and turns out my 4 year-turned 5 year-could've been 6 year-plan isn't so messed up after all! If you don't recall, I was having some problemos with my schedule, not being able to get in classes and such. Well she helped me out and looks like I'll be able to get out of here in 4 semesters! So two more years. Much better than the 3 I was dreading. 
Surrre I could have probably been a doctor for cryin' out loud in that time, but I'm really happy about it! Let's just cross our fingers and have hope I'll get to the end of this journey.
Well, back to the books. I'll be at the Maxx tonight if you'd like to hit me up or come make some cheap purchases! (final clearance time BABY).
Have a happy ALMOST weekend :) 

3 comments:

we said...

hey sis, remember me???? hope so or this could be super creepy but i found your blog at work today and i thought i'd let you know that good things happen to those who wait (you and jon) i'm proud of you and your blog rules.

Unknown said...

you're cute. there, I said it!

Aubrey said...

Confidence in a cooking classroom? I can help you with this one! 1. Associate yourself with how professional chefs teach. Watch The Food Network occasionally to pick up on how to do it with ease. My personal favorite: Giada. 2. Gain confidence in your recipes. Practice them. Know your ingredients, not only the measurements but how each one contributes to the dish. And make sure you have all your equipment ready beforehand. 3. Practice cooking and teaching in front of family and friends. They will love your demos and you will gain experience. You can always practice with me! Find your Julia Child within! :)