Jun 9, 2013

Bed Rest

Last Thursday night as I was preparing for bed, I noticed I was having contractions very close together. 
I'm used to having Braxton Hicks every 40 minutes or so,
so I  didn't think anything was out of the ordinary when I was having contractions through out the day.
 After I washed my face and brushed my teeth I sat in bed and began to time each one. Turns out I was having a contraction every 3 to 5 minutes and they lasted about a minute. I was only 34 weeks and 4 days at this point so I reeeaallly didn't want to go to the hospital! 
I got in the bath around midnight and they didn't slow down at all. So reluctantly I had Jon call the doctor and she said we should go into labor and delivery. We asked her what the risk was of trying to just sleep through them and see if they stopped and she said we would probably be having our baby much sooner if we did that. Dang. Off to LDS hospital we went! 
We got checked in and the RN {who we loved, she was so nice} checked to see if I had dilated. 
Yep, I was dilated to a 3 and 60% effaced. "Well that's not what we want to see!" she said. 
I looked at Jon and we started laughing {slightly hysterically} because we were not prepared for this baby at all! We didn't even have a hospital bag packed, let alone diapers and wipes... nothing but our nursery furniture and bedding. 
They gave me a catheter to test my urine {so fun}, I couldn't really tell you what they were testing it for...
then I was given an iv and a shot of terbulatine {ouch} to relax the uterus and slow the contractions. 
It worked somewhat, but not enough to send me home so another bag of iv fluid, another shot of terbulatine and 4 hours later the contractions had slowed to every thirty minutes or so. 
It was 5:30 in the morning and they were ready to let us go home.
 They scheduled an appointment with my doctor the following Monday and told me I was to be on strict bed rest until then. We asked if I could even go to church and they said no. We were way sad about this because we were planning to go to Logan for the blessing of the Gordon's baby,
I'm sure it was beautiful. 
They also have me taking terbulatine every 6 hours to slow the contractions. 
We got home and headed straight to bed. Poor Jon slept for about 3 hours then had to go to campus to take a physics test :\  He was obviously really worried about it, but he did great and got an 85% :)
So Monday comes and I was so hopeful they would take me off bed rest, even though that is totally unrealistic! Dr Jackson checked me and I was still dilated to a 3 and was now 80% effaced. 
No getting out of bed for this girl for two more weeks. She said she wanted to see me get to 37 weeks before delivering this baby, because he still has some growing to do and some serious weight to gain. 

Today is day 9 out of 17. I'm more than half way through! 
I've been watching quite a bit of Netflix and Hulu, and the days actually go by pretty quick. 
The hardest part of it all has been not being able to go to work. I was planning on working up until week 38 or 39, but my body obviously had different things in mind. It wasn't the best timing because most of the employees are vacationing this month. Luckily the ones who are in town have been so willing to help..I just feel so bad for abandoning them without any warning.
Yesterday my sister and mom gave a wonderful baby shower with my friends and mom's side of the fam. 
It was supposed to be at Britt's in Park city, but they were so nice and brought it to my house. 
Even though it was WAY more work for them to throw it here, they didn't even complain once. 
Thank you so much Mom and Britt! It was so fun and all the little details were super cute.
Also thank you to those who came! Everyone was so nice and way too generous. 
This little feller is definitely surrounded by a lot of love from family and friends, we are so blessed. 
So for the next 8 days I'll just be laying here, eating as much as possible to help the babe put on some pounds. Hopefully it is working because I can just hear my bod telling me how FUN it is going to be to lose the weight I'm putting on :) It's all for the baby... he needs all the donuts and cookies he can get!
I meet with Dr Jackson again tomorrow, so stay tuned for any updates!

1 comment:

Maddie and Tyler said...

This is so crazy!! I hope that you get feeling better and that your cute baby stays in there! :)