Nov 6, 2011

Trying

One night I decided to make caramel corn. I remember making it when I was in junior high with my chef-of-a-sister, Heidi. But no, I'd never made it on my own. We don't have a popcorn maker, so my only option was to pop the kernels {which we received when we got married} on the stovetop. Wow, what a challenge! If you can get your hands on a popcorn maker, do it! If not, practice can make perfect. {In my case, TONS of practice} On my fourth or fifth try I decided to take some pictures as I went so I could share this journey with you and get any popcorn tips you might have :)
Start by adding about 3 Tbs of vegetable oil to your pot
 I poured enough kernels in the pot to almost cover the bottom,
 if you do too much you may be left with some kernels in your caramel corn.
Cook on medium-high, shaking the pot the whole time {pain in the rear}.
Once the popping stops, or there are about 7 seconds between each one,
turn off the heat and remove

 Pour popped corn into a LARGE bowl.
Here are the ingredients for the caramel {you can alter how much or little you'd like depending on how much popcorn you make...but it goes a long way!}

  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cube {or 1/4 cup} butter
  • 1/2 cup karo syrup
  • 1/2 can sweetened condensed milk
  • cook on medium-high heat. But STIR, or else you may have some burnage.
{sounds reeeaal healthy, huh? ;)}
Cook brown sugar, butter and karo syrup to "soft ball" stage.
{still not so sure what that means...I just assume it looks like the photo above}
I stirred the whole time.
 Once you've reached that stage, Add sweetened condensed milk.
 Bring to a boil {goes quick!}

Once those steps are completed, you know what to do..
Grab your hubby or a friend to help you pour and mix!
Unless of course you have four hands, or are so much more talented than I.
YUMMM

Just so you know, one day I will have popcorn mastered! One day :)

Ps. How was your Halloween?
Ours was baby-licious!

3 comments:

Rachel Paben said...

Hey Ash if you get a brown paper lunch sack and pour your kernals in there and fold over the top you can throw them in the microwave?! BEST THING. EVER!

Aubrey said...

That must be the Oman family recipe cause it's the exact same one I use (except I add the cube of butter at the end, after caramel reaches soft ball stage, pull off heat and stir in butter). So so so yummy! I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. I wish I could come cook with you. Miss you so much!

Heidi said...

I need to make caramel corn! You need to talk to Aubrey, she's the chef-of-a-sister now! I do my best. We didn't dress up for Halloween. Love your costumes! I don't think I could ever get Ty to dress up like a baby!!!!